For this clown illustration, I wanted to try something different. Keep reading for some of the process I used to create this guy.
First came the sketch.
Now for the coloring. I decided to take a bunch of flowers my daughter had pressed, and I scanned them in at a very high resolution.
Then I brought them into Photoshop and put them all on separate layers and turned the layer style to multiply (which made an almost totally black image). Then I turned all of the layers off except one, and started erasing away the clown shape.
One by one I turned on each layer, which built up the color, and then I erased more away.
Here I switched one of the layers to “normal” and lowered it’s opacity, to lighten the whole thing (it was getting too dark). And then continued to erase.
And finally, once the color was done, I turned on a really dark flower layer and erased it all except for the line work. And there you have it. Click it for a big version if’n you like.